Friday, November 19, 2010

Shadowing session 11/18/2010.

Today's session was just another day in the writing center. My consultant had a girl with an eight-page paper come in to get her ideas revised and the first draft edited. Her paper was on post-traumatic stress disorder, a subject matter that I have studied before in one of my English classes. It was obvious that the student had not sent her paper to the consultant prior to the session because he spent a lot of time looking over the paper and there was about a ten minute silence in the room. I think some writers underestimate the importance of sending the draft to their tutors in advance because it reduces the amount of time either party wastes on either waiting for the draft to be read or reading it for the first time. I remember in my freshman year I went to the writing center and forgot to send the consultant my draft the night before. When I came into the session the tutor took about twenty-five minutes to read my draft, and I feel like he did not give me as much advice as he could have given me had he read the draft the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment