Monday, October 4, 2010

How to write...basic guidelines.

Browsing through the internet the other day I found this website while looking for idea's for my English 400 midterm paper..

http://www.fireandknowledge.org/archives/2007/01/08/a-guide-to-writing-well/#IntroGeneral

I think its a great website and it seems to have various different interpretations of writing depending on the context. But overall I think it helps to structure an essay quite well. Probably a tool that I will refer to my future tutees (hopefully when I become a writing consultant)..

I especially liked an excerpt about how to write good conclusions:

“The perfect ending should take your readers slightly by surprise and yet seem exactly right. They didn’t expect the article to end so soon, or so abruptly, or to say what is said. But they know it when they see it.”

Sometimes people often forget how important a conclusion paragraph can be, and I like to emphasize that by having a strong conclusion, you leave a lasting impression on the reader; they will remember the fact that they didn't waste their time reading a paper that had too obvious an argument, but rather were pleased with what they read and what they learned.

1 comment:

  1. I love that quote! Thank you for introducing me to this person and his writing. I agree with him that William Zinsser's book "On Writing Well" remains one of the best books out there for understanding what makes writing effective.

    ReplyDelete