Sunday, September 26, 2010

First shadowing experience.

This past Friday I had my first shadowing experience at the Writing Center. I'm signed up for one hour every Friday morning, from 10 AM to 11 AM. I shadow Chris Cacace, who just started working there since he had only taken ENG 383 last spring. I thought the whole experience was actually pretty cool. Chris was booked that morning, but I only got to see him in action with the person who booked the appointment from 10 to 11 that morning. His first appointment was a girl who came in without a paper and only ideas to discuss. She wanted help regarding her thesis and also to improve her understanding of the assignment. Chris looked over the assignment, which turned out to be a leadership paper, and gave her some advice regarding how to go about tackling the assignment and what ideas she might use for her thesis. Chris let me look at the assignment sheet, and I thought it was really vague and quite hard considering that there was no clear indication as to how the questions addressed in the assignment would be answered. Chris did an excellent job trying to teach the girl how to write for an assignment such as hers and not simply help her draft a thesis and outline for her paper. In my opinion, this is what a writing consultant should be doing, and I think that the girl left satisfied with the help that she got from Chris. Overall, my first experience as a shadow was great, and I am looking forward to next Friday's session.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was interesting that the person who came to the writing center wanted to be helped with ideas rather than the structure or style of her paper. I had a similar experience today, and I didn't realize how much talking about your ideas can help clarify what you really want to say.

    ReplyDelete